Smoothies are ideal for weight loss because they allow you to control the ingredients. They are also able to incorporate low-calorie, but high-nutrient ingredients that can keep you feeling full for a long time. In fact, combining the right ingredients into your smoothies can go a long way towards boosting your weight loss efforts. Apart from the basics, you can add powerhouse ingredients that kick the nutritional value a notch higher by giving you more energy, enhancing your metabolic rate, and filling you up for hours. Take a look at our top 6 smoothies for weight loss.
1. PEANUT BUTTER JELLY PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Blending frozen berries with rolled oats, vanilla protein, all natural peanut butter, and soy milk helps create a protein-rich smoothie without excess calories. You can also substitute soy milk with your preferred type of unsweetened milk if needed. It won’t have significant effect on the nutrition or taste profile.
Nutrition: 228 calories
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 scoop Vanilla Bean
- 1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter
- 1 cup frozen berries
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
2. LIME VANILLA SMOOTHIE
This smoothie is low in sugar and packed with 42 g of muscle building protein, which is enough to cover your daily recommended intake. Adding cottage cheese gives the drink a satisfying consistency that will come in handy when trying to shake off some extra pounds. If you are sensitive to dairy, you can use tofu instead to achieve a similar texture.
Nutrition: 212 calories
- a handful of spinach or 2 to 3 drops Green food coloring
- 2 to 4 packets of Stevia
- 1/2 to 1 cup of Water (or as needed)
- 5-10 Ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon of Lime juice
- 1 Scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup Fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum, 1 graham cracker, ground into crumbs
Blend everything until smooth. Serve into a glass and enjoy!
3. DARK CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SHAKE
This sweet, minty shake is great for any time of the year. What’s more, it is not concentrated with sugar or fat, meaning that it is great for your slimming diet. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt when serving to boost your protein intake.
Nutrition: 153 calories
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 scoop of Designer Whey Gourmet Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 2-3 large ice cubes
- 1 large banana, frozen
- 1 tablespoon of vegan/dark chocolate chips
- Greek yogurt
- Vegan whipped topping
- Homemade whipping cream
Put all the ingredients in a magic bullet or blender and then process until smooth
4. ALMOND BUTTER PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Consisting of just 4 ingredients, this smoothie is a quick way to incorporate important nutrients into your diet without the risk of weight gain. The nut butter and almond milk are rich in natural protein, while the chia seeds provide a good boost of heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. You can have this smoothie as an afternoon snack or in the morning with your healthy breakfast. Add some cinnamon enhance the taste.
Nutrition: 280 calories
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled & frozen
- Spinach or preferred leafy green
- Blueberries or preferred fruit
- Raw cacao powder
- Maca Powder
- Ground cinnamon
Put everything in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve into a glass and enjoy!
5. COFFEE BANANA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Bananas, yogurt, and coffee are tasty breakfast options that can provide a good dose of energy when mixed together. The combination of protein, natural, sugar, and caffeine is perfect after a challenging morning workout. Add some yogurt for a thicker texture or more protein-packed drink.
Nutrition: 132 calories
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ bananas, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chilled Seattle’s Best brewed coffee
- 6 ice cubes
Process everything in a heavy duty blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
6. GRAPE AND BLUEBERRY PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
This recipe is a great alternative for nutrition powders. It uses scrambled egg in place of plant of whey protein. The egg provides protein that is needed for muscle recovery, while the choline in the yolk counters fat cells to help you achieve a lean look. The grapes and berries are an excellent source of vitamin C, which wards off the pesky cortisol stress hormone that promotes the storage of fat.
Nutrition: 320 calories
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large ice cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen red grapes
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 ripe banana peeled and frozen
- 1 egg beaten, scrambled, and cooled
Scramble the egg in a small skillet over medium high heat until just set. Transfer onto a plate and leave it to cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, mix the other ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Serve with the egg.